Saturday, September 19, 2020

Bergslagsleden

After making my new signature risotto with Västerbotten cheese to Sofi and her husband Stefan last night, I drove up to Ånnaboda shortly after 6 a.m. While my chest injury from Höga Kusten had not fully healed, I felt quite eager to take on another ultra. For the first 21k all went really well as I completed the half marathon distance in one hour and 55 minutes along the most beautiful forest trails. Somewhere around 25k I was beginning to feel that my left knee probably had taken more of a beating than I thought when I fell on Stampberget two weeks ago but I did not give it much thought as I climbed up to Rusakulan and looked down over the eco park. Going downhill, however, my concentration slipped, and I suddenly fell flat on my face as my chest muscles simply were not there to allow me to brace myself.
High on adrenaline, I did continue with a decent pace for some more kilometres but, as my left knee was making itself increasingly known, I quickly fell behind, ultimately finishing in just over six hours (equivalent of a 7:35 min/km pace) as number 69 of 113 runners. Despite all the injuries, it was a fantastic race and, unlike Höga Kusten, I would very much like to come back another year. In no small part, this was due to my incredible support crew consisting of Sofi, Stefan, Birgitta and, not to be forgotten, Tage, the flatcoated retriever.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger petrakack said...

Way to go! Good race 😊

9:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home