Wednesday, March 20, 2024

SAL

One of the great advantages of being in a small academic environment like Halmstad University is that I get to participate in seminars across the disciplinary boundaries. Today, that meant listening to a paper on identity making aboard the Swedish America Line (SAL). From the exhibition “Frizon” about gay culture aboard the ships to getting to experience Scandinavian Airlines’ 2.0 version with Anna back in 2016, I have long nurtured a certain fascination for SAL. Though I guess I will have to do with Cunard if I am to ever sail across the Atlantic, just passing the America terminal in the port of Gothenburg on my long runs give me a strange form of existential satisfaction.

In other news, the big thing happening today is that my dear mother is turning 75. Sadly, I could not be in Kalmar to celebrate with her but, already on Friday, Eddie and I are taking the train to see her, something that I am very much looking forward to.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home