Friday, April 07, 2023

Fried rice


Eating some fried rice takeout in my hotel room, I am thrown back to Hong Kong and the concept of “wok hei”; how the Maillard reaction and the tossing of the rice create a very special taste that I am unable to replicate at home on my electric stove (as much as I happen to like nuclear-powered things).

An hour ago, our SOTL-panel finished, reminding me again of how much I prefer talking about student learning compared to the end-of-the-world stuff that is on the agenda for tomorrow morning. Like back in 2019 at WPSA in San Diego, I am really asking myself why I keep engaging in these debates? What is at stake is not just policy but entire worldviews, as in fundamentally different ways of thinking about society and, as such, these climate debates quickly become intractable. Nevertheless, it would be wrong to give up on communication or to stop fighting for an open and more equal world.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home