Friday, August 05, 2022

Second attempt

One year after I had to DNF due to a rolled ankle, I found myself back on the same bus to the starting line in Fångamon. Having left my hotel room in Åre at 3 a.m., the mountains looked more and more imposing as we got closer with the first major climb of the day, Ottfjället with its 1265 meters, just barely visible between the clouds.

Following the same strategy as last year, I decided to go out hard, knowing that the trails following Vålån would be some of the most runnable during the day. After 18.5 km, at the first checkpoint in Nulltjärn, I was number 41 of 94 runners. Once the climbing began, I started falling behind a bunch of people who were all using poles, making me uncertain if skipping the poles was really the right decision. Anyhow, once I reached the top, I was treated to incredible views including a most stunning alpine lake. 

Passing the checkpoint in Nordbottnen, 39.5 km into the run and the place where I had been forced to throw in the towel last year, I felt strong even as I was now down to number 55. Almost directly after the checkpoint however, a really demanding and muddy climb up Hållfjället started. Once on the top, I somehow got distracted and missed the turn down to Ottsjö. As the signage was the same, I did not immediately recognize my error as I kept following the orange 100k markers down into Tobaksdalen. 

Surprised to find a checkpoint where there should not be any, I began talking to the wonderful support crew who explained what had gone wrong, showing me on their map that I had to run up the same muddy mountain again before coming back to the checkpoint about 20 km later after passing the checkpoint in Ottsjö.

Learning that I had accidentally added 6 km and one additional mountain to my 100k, I felt like a deflated balloon. With only two weeks having passed since I tested positive for Covid, my energy levels were not the best to begin with, and suffering from cramps in my stomach, I could tell that the race was over for me. After climbing back up Hållfjället and struggling through ten kilometres of mud, I ultimately made it to the checkpoint in Ottsjö where my watch was showing 59 km rather than the intended 53 km.

Having been out on the mountain for almost ten hours, I was coming up hard against the cut-off time in Edsåsdalen, but even if I would somehow make it there in time, I just could not see myself continuing for another ten or twelve hours. So, for the second time in my life, I made the decision to DNF. 

Being greeted by Petra who had just finished her 8k race, we got to spend an hour in the sun watching the top four men finishing before we were fortunate enough to be whisked away in an electric SUV to Åre by the race organizers. A couple of hours later, when Petra and I were having dinner in downtown Åre while following the live updates from the poor souls who were still out the mountain, I felt even more certain that I had made the right decision. Of all the ultra races that I have taken part in, Fjällmaraton 100k is clearly the most extreme. Even on a good day, I think it is right at the limit of my ability so I will have to think hard before registering for a third attempt.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home