Thursday, July 21, 2022

Lorenzetti

Reading A month in Siena by Hisham Matar, I am reminded of Ambrogio Lorenzetti’s painting “Allegory of Good Government” from 1339. Planning my autumn lectures in political philosophy, I will definitely use it in class when introducing the Renaissance. Now with Chiltern Wonderland cancelled, the schedule will be much less stressed for the students so hopefully we will have time for a lot of discussions. Knowing that we have done away with Covid (at least until some new variant emerges), I am also less worried about having to cancel classes like I had to do last semester.

As for the painting, it lacks the defined centre of traditional political art, hinting instead to the enlightened pluralism of the republic. More than ever, it feels important to put trust in each other and to not seek those “seemingly swift and simple solutions” that John F Kennedy posthumously warned us of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home