Saturday, August 07, 2021

DNF

Sometimes things do not work out according to plan. Today was such a day. After running the first 30 km and climbing up Ottfjället with no problems whatsoever, it was time for the downhill. It did not take many steps until I knew that the injury that I got on my solo trail run between Ammarnäs and Hemavan was back with a vengeance. As dozens and dozens of runners overtook me, I began to realize that I would simply not be able to make it in time for the cut-offs if I were to walk on all descents. As such, I decided to break the race once I made it to the second aid station at 39 km.

Driving back to Umeå, I felt utterly defeated. After all, I have been training for this race since January and I was so much looking forward to finishing my first ever 100k. Still, with the sharp pain I felt in my left foot, I could very well end up with a more serious injury that could take months to recover from, possibly dashing my plans for Trondheim MarathonTrail Kuršių Nerija and all the other races that I have lined up for the fall. With this in mind, the decision to DNF was fairly straightforward. And, thinking back on everything now, I really should stop whining and just be happy about the fact that I am able to run almost a marathon in the mountains and not feel particularly tired.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home