Thursday, April 15, 2021

A Grand Day Out

Taking a morning train, I got down to Örnsköldsvik and the friendliest of bike shops around 9 a.m. Everyone was joking about the madness of riding the bike back to Umeå but after the first couple of hours, I felt confident that I would do it as I was able to keep an average speed of 25 km/h, stopping in small villages for cinnamon buns and fluids. However, at the ICA store in Flärke, there was something with the way that the owner assured me that the remaining 20 km down to Nordmaling would be smooth sailing on dry asphalt that did not feel quite right (up here, it can be somewhat of a sport to make fun of “sörlänningar” and their crazy ideas). And, it only took a few kilometres before the road had turned into mud and steep icy slopes, forcing me to dismount and walk. To be honest, I do not think I have seen as much mud since South Devon Ultra last year.

Then, finally, 65 km into my ride, I was back on asphalt, coasting down towards Nordmaling and a long overdue lunch. Once there, I realized I still had 70 km to go, which would mean that I would not be home before 6 pm at the earliest. Considering that I was all soaked in mud, I decided to be rational and take the train and let 75 km suffice for my first adventure with “Stålhästen”.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home