Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Nero di Lupo

When turning 40, I was given a most generous gift card for #småparti by my parents-in-law. Of the three bottles I bought, this one hails from Sicily and tastes of smoked minerals and forest raspberry. After biking 20 km and running 10 km today, a chèvre pizza from Ruccola felt well deserved (and, yes, I know, real Italians only drink beer with their pizza).

Last Thursday was “Earth Overshoot Day” and I had originally decided not to write anything about it here on Rawls & Me. After all, I prefer to laugh all the way to the replicator with Jean-Luc Picard (who, by the way, is returning to the screen) rather than engaging over and over with the same Malthusian narrow-mindness. Still, in the meantime, the usual suspects have published yet another paper, explaining why we are all going to hell in a handbasket unless we fully commit ourselves to their “resilience-building strategies”. Reading through the paper, I am again reminded of the words often misattributed to John Maynard Keynes, “it is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong”. For all their fancy modelling they completely miss the bigger picture in terms of what humanity can positively achieve as a species over the coming hundred years...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home