Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Graduation

I do not even know how to begin summarizing the last couple of days. But Kalle gave an excellent defence of his PhD, I got to see so many old friends and we all had an incredible party at Druidgården last night. With Kalle being my first PhD student to graduate, my tears were not that far away when the committee announced that they had unanimously decided to pass his dissertation shortly after 4 pm yesterday.

Now already aboard SK27 and on my way to Halmstad for a full day of work, my Suunto is yelling at me that the last three nights have all been way too short and that I should prioritize sleep. However, I beg to disagree.

Because, had I stayed in bed at Hotel Winn, I would have missed yesterday's half marathon around Nydalasjön with my colleague Veronica who is now planning a return to Kullamannen for the 100-mile edition, and I would not have seen how, what was once our house, has been transformed since we sold it in 2022.

Before returning to work, I would like to once again say thank-you to Kalle for these five years and express my gratitude for the kind and generous words in the introduction to his PhD:

"As I prepare to celebrate the completion of my doctoral studies, the first (and coldest!) beers will undoubtedly go to my terrific supervisors Magnus Blomgren and Rasmus Karlsson. Not only have you generously read, commented, and discussed each of the countless drafts that I (not seldom way past our agreed-upon deadlines) have sent your way, but you've also guided me through exactly all other aspects of life as a PhD student. People often say that academia can be an unwelcoming environment, but that is very hard to believe for someone who has had the pleasure of having you two as supervisors. Sure, I've left some of our meetings with more questions than answers, but I've also always left feeling more inspired and confident than before. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying that this thesis wouldn't have seen the light of day without your invaluable support."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home