Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Babylon Berlin

With my mind thrown back to the neo-noir world of Provocateur in Wilmersdorf, it is the third season and police inspector Gereon Rath is seeing the Weimar Republic crumble from within. Though I do not often watch television series, it is worth making exceptions sometimes (be it StarTrek or Buffy). Or, in this case, Babylon Berlin which is now available for free on SVT Play for those with an IP-number residing in Sweden.

The last time I dived into the Weimar years was during the pandemic when I read Christopher Isherwood’s Goodbye to Berlin. Just like tonight, I remember feeling uncertain about whether or not I even want to return to Berlin again, as if my memories are already enough for a lifetime and nothing more can possibly be added, at least not in a meaningful way. It is funny, because I do not think I feel like that for any other city, with the possible exception for Hong Kong where I suspect I would feel so sad about all that has been lost. On the other hand, that would also be interesting in itself, although in some horrifying Black Mirrorish way.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home