Sunday, May 07, 2023

Back to 100 km

For the first time since August last year when I ran Ultravasan, I am back at 100 km of running per week. With almost all of those kilometres being low heart rate easy pace, I am not feeling overly tired in my legs so hopefully this is a volume that I will be able to sustain.

Last night, I listened to some old speeches by JFK, including one from 1962 that warmed my heart by reminding me of a time when politics was still about ideals:

“We welcome the view of others. We seek a free flow of information across national boundaries and oceans, across iron curtains and stone walls. We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Though he talked long before social media and the rise of the censorship industrial complex, JFK was, as often, prescient:

“For in the next 20 years your problem and ours as a country, in telling our story, will grow more complex. The choices we present to the world will be more difficult, and for some the future will seem even more empty of hope and progress. The barrage upon truth will grow more constant, and some people cannot bear the responsibility of a free choice which goes with self-government. Finally, shrinking from choice, they turn to those who prevent them from choosing, and thus find in a kind of prison, a kind of security.”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home