Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Yellow River Stone Forest

Instead of blowing over, a night with high fever followed as the dry cough intensified. Still, subsequent self-tests have all been negative, and without access to PCR testing, I am no wiser if it is really Covid this time around. Luckily, the fever has now subsided and, except for feeling extremely lethargic and coughing, I am doing quite okay.

While drinking my morning coffee, I read a long article in Runner's World about the Gansu ultramarathon disaster that happened in May last year. Having just returned from summer temperatures on Öland, I remember how my own disappointment at the sudden winter weather in Umeå quickly faded when I read about the disaster and how 21 people had died in the Yellow River Stone Forest when the temperature abruptly dropped to freezing with graupel and gale strength winds. Having experienced first-hand how cold it can be in the mountains during my solo trail adventure between Ammarnäs and Hemavan, I must say that the thought of becoming trapped with nothing but shorts and t-shirt is kind of frightening.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home