Saturday, November 13, 2021

Catching up

Apparently, it has become somewhat of a tradition for me to do November runs down to Holmsund in order to make up for lost kilometres. Today, I did exactly that in my new Salming iSpike shoes. After a very American second breakfast, I set off along the beautiful winding road to Holmsjön and then all the way out to the coast guard station. The weather could not have been more beautiful with sunshine and crisp blue skies.

While my mother is back swimming every Saturday morning and some have been able to record 80,000 meters of swimming this year despite that all pools were closed during the first nine months,  I am falling further and further behind with my own swimming. With a bit of luck, I will be able to catch up a bit once on Malta but it remains uncertain if I will be able to reach my annual target of 24,000 meters.

As for hot water, the city of Pevek on the shores of the East Siberian Sea is becoming one of the first places in the world with nuclear residential heating, in this case from a small modular reactor. By using heat directly from the reactor, rather than first putting it through a turbine to generate electricity, much more of the thermal energy can be captured, reducing overall waste heat. So, while I am thrilled to have 100% certified nuclear electricity from Kärnfull, residential nuclear heating would be the killer app, making possible a true decoupling from the burning of biomass and fossil energy.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home