Friday, February 19, 2021

Be careful what you wish for

Yesterday, I was stunned to find an acceptance letter for the Development Studies Association’s online conference in late June. Of all things, I did not expect this since my abstract so directly contradicted everything that the panel convenors presumably believe in. The only plausible explanation I can think of is that the convenors really seek to encourage an open academic debate, something that has become very rare and precious these days. This leaves me with a difficult choice, should I withdraw now or try to turn that wild abstract into a full-length paper by 1 June?

For the moment however, I am busy with marking anyhow with little time for research. At least I was able to swing by USM this morning even as I find it increasingly difficult to keep up with my twice-a-week gym routine as it eats directly into my prime working time.

With Anna back from her online IFJP conference, I made a simple dinner with Tortilla Española, chorizo, grapes and a salad to go with a glass of wine from dreamy Navarra in northern Spain. It is strange to think that just a little more than a year ago, one could travel practically anywhere in the world at a moment’s notice. At least there is some good news out of Israel where the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine does not only seem to prevent illness but also cut transmission to a large extent. The question of course remains to what extent this applies to all the different variants that are now popping up around the world.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home