Friday, June 07, 2019

Laps

At last, it is summer also in Umeå. As the beaches of Nydalasjön fill up with brave six-year-olds, I follow my old Ann Arbor routine and go for a lunch run followed by one of those rare cold showers to fight off the afternoon heat.

The other day at work, Elias talked about running Växjö Marathon which is made up of eight loops around Växjösjön. Since I got intensely bored from running just three laps around Nydalasjön, I guess that would represent a particular kind of psychological challenge. Taking away the sense of exploration that comes with running 42k through a city like Marrakech, I guess it would really only be about endurance and being present in one’s body.

Otherwise, when not racing, I often find myself drifting off in my mind during my running, which I guess is kind of expected given how prone I always been to daydreaming. With 100+ hours of running already this year, that is a lot of time to ponder the intractability of climate policy discourse, the relative remoteness of the Gili Islands and the fact that I will get to run around Lake Merritt in less than two weeks...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home