Friday, October 19, 2018

Noord-Holland

Shortly before 6 a.m., I am checked in and on my way south on this crazy mission to run 42,195 metres in under four hours.  Though it happens rarely these days, I had a stint of insomnia last night so I am feeling strangely jetlagged as I sit down on 4F and look out over the most beautiful fairy-tale landscapes covered in autumn mist.

The other day, I was watching Beto O'Rourke debate Ted Cruz over border security and immigration. While it goes without saying that I am more sympathetic to O'Rourke here, I was still struck by the fact that neither candidate seemed capable of seeing any of this from the Mexican perspective, if so even for a second. Such “global blindness” is of course nothing strange per se, after all, I have spent the better part of the last five years arguing that it explains much of what is wrong with climate policy, but still. How hard can it be to realize that we are all into this together and that greater equality and economic growth in Mexico (as well as the rest of Latin America) are ultimately the only things that can “fix the border”?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home