Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Distance record

With Anna back home from her writing retreat, I took on a face mask and went down to USM for 12 km on the treadmill. Considering that it is -15 degrees outside right now, I thought it was better to save my lungs and instead run further than I ever have on a treadmill. I have written before about the psychology of treadmill running but I cannot help pondering the absurdity of there being such a thing as a world record for 48 hours on a treadmill. Fortunately, the USM treadmills are capped at 60 minutes per activity so that is one record that I will not be able to contest.

Yesterday, I watched a video about the difference between setting outcome goals and process goals for your running. Considering how difficult outcomes (like running a sub three-hour marathon) are to plan, especially during a pandemic, it makes more sense to set a process (like running x km every week) goal. However, after Tjörnarparen 100k was cancelled, all my other planned races are races that I already know I will be able to finish (unless something completely out of the ordinary happens). With that in mind, I have been thinking of signing up for either Ultravasan 90 or Fjällmaraton 100k, both taking place in August. Either race would represent a truly formidable challenge, much like when I registered for my first marathon back in 2018. This year, Bergslagsleden Ultra in September also has an 82 km version which could be an alternative to the other two races since it is cheaper and would also give me a chance to hang out a bit with Sofi and her husband in Örebro. As always, any input is greatly appreciated!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home