Friday, February 07, 2020

Maps and legends

With the exception of Macau and a brief visit to Portugal itself back in 2012, the Lusophone world has remained largely unexplored here on Rawls & Me. As I making some “Caldo Verde” or Portuguese kale soup for dinner and reading up on wild ultratrail races on the Azores, I am thinking that maybe that is about to change.

Today was the last days of lectures in my political philosophy class. Wrapping up the class with Mussolini's “La dottrina del fascismo" and Harald Ofstad’s “Vårt förakt för svaghet” (“Our contempt for weakness”), it felt more important than ever to speak out and do whatever I can to stop the ongoing slide into darkness. The next election will indeed be decisive for determining what kind of country Sweden is and for how long we will allow politics to speak to the basest of our instincts rather than our highest aspirations.

And as for the Portuguese wine, I am back with Sagan:

Herman Melville, in Moby Dick, spoke for wanderers in all epochs and meridians: “I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home