Saturday, January 25, 2020

Locally sourced

Yesterday at COOP, I was approached by someone who was giving out free samples of chili-lime salmon with aioli and iceberg lettuce while telling me, in a slightly evangelic voice, that the salmon was smoked right here on an island in the Umeå archipelago.

After the research seminar on Thursday when I could not refrain from pointing out some of the reasons why overall resource use and environmental impact would be vastly higher in a localized economy (i.e. the opposite of what most people seem to think), I decided to just go with the flow this time and buy some locally sourced salmon for dinner. With Bolla from Triveneto making a surprise return, I am again reminded of how important it is to be kind above all and not always seek confrontation. At the same time, I do want to push the envelope of our collective thinking. The other day, when marking take-home exams, I was thrilled to see that one student had quoted Robert Kennedy’s words: “Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not”.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home