Thursday, April 18, 2019

BA281

”He was a man with years of dirty, dangerous memories - a spy”

I had everything lined up for a perfect blog post, including a vintage copy of Ian Flemming’s 1963 novel On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. But then I forgot the book back home on the kitchen table in Umeå. At least, BA has been kind enough to serve me a gin and tonic as our 787-9 heads out over the Irish Sea. On the other hand, considering that I otherwise got the full Fredi treatment, including a middle seat at the very end of the economy cabin, and that we have about 10 more hours to go until Los Angeles, that only seems about fair.

Yesterday, someone who is not in the climate research universe asked me what I thought about “fly shaming” (yes, it is a thing in Sweden). Whenever I get these questions, I struggle to know where to even begin, there is simply so much to unpack, be it climate response times, the crucial role of global economic integration in reducing vulnerability to environmental risk and the more general need to stop thinking of climate change as something amenable to “demand-side” solutions. On Saturday at WPSA, I will get a chance to return to some of these points as I will take part in a panel on the ethics of flying to international conferences (how fitting…). For now, I have to return to writing my assignment for the course on assessment and evaluation that I am taking this semester.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home