Sunday, June 18, 2023

Muddy Boots

After an afternoon that took a sombre turn, I left Kalmar with SK196 and was treated to some incredible views of the castle and the bridge leading over to Öland before our ATR 72-600 disappeared into the white clouds. An hour later, and I am back in the SAS lounge with a glass of “Muddy Boots” chardonnay which unfortunately is not available at Systembolaget, its citrus tropical minerality being particularly “quaffable” as Fredi used to say.

As frustrated as I am with my performance yesterday, I am happy I did not DNF but completed the race even if it meant leaving my parents waiting. Not only did I get another medal to hang in my new Halmstad office but I can now also fully appreciate how impressive it is that one of the Högby IF runners was able to set a new course record of 3 hours and 16 minutes (which translates into a 3:55 min/km pace on average). Considering how muddy and sandy I was at the end, and how tricky it was to run on some of the pebble beaches, such a pace is simply incredible.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home