Sunday, June 18, 2023

Öland Ultra

With every ultra, you learn something new about yourself and your limits. Starting off with a group of fast runners at 9 am, I was lucky with the weather as the last month of burning sunshine had turned into overcast skies and the soft rumble of thunder at a distance. Completing the first half marathon in 1 hour and 50 minutes, I somehow knew that I was going out too hard as the gravel roads of the interior of the island turned into sand and pebble along the coast. 

With the trail heading north, I was seriously considering quitting at the 25 km mark but chose to soldier on even as my energy was more or less spent. Having decided not to take any Maurten gels along as the race was “only” 50k, my glycogen reserves were thoroughly depleted by the time I reached “Neptuni åkrar” and started to experience nausea and dizziness. Resorting to walking, I called my parents who were waiting at the finishing line, telling them that the race would probably take much longer than the 4.5 hours that I had planned. After a bit of fruit at the 35 km checkpoint, I was able to jog for a few more kilometres but my heart rate bounced back up to 160 only after a few steps so I knew that things were not alright. In the end, I had to walk much of the remaining 15 km before, ultimately, finishing as number 33 of the 45 runners who completed the race.

If I am to draw any lessons, it is first and foremost to always bring your own energy, and not rely on that you will find sufficient nutrition at the aid stations (I guess I was simply spoiled after Diablo Trails 50k). Then, it is hardly rocket science to see that my training volume over the last month has been too high for my current fitness level. Running 100k per week leading up to a race is simply not a good idea and I will make sure that I get much more rest before Tallinn Marathon which remains my key race this year. As for the course and the race, I can wholeheartedly recommend it, especially if you have not been to northern Öland before.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home