Friday, March 03, 2023

International Herald Tribune

Many years ago, when I used to travel between Copenhagen and Vienna with some frequency, I had my own newspaper ritual, always picking up the International Herald Tribune at the gate as I boarded (imagine, a time when European airlines not only served complimentary hot meals in economy but gave out newspapers for free!), and then taking in the world as it disappeared below. These days, I will have to do with a week-old newspaper from Pressbyrån in Umeå, but its front-page photo of a tram still brings back memories from the Central Europe of my heart, the very world that is now at risk.

As for something lighter, when running under the stars and an almost full moon this morning, I was reminded of a wonderful article in Monocle a few years back about “early risers” around the world, featuring everything from beach yoga in Sydney to morning dance parties in New York. If someone in my twenties had suggested that I would go to bed at 9 pm and get up before 5 am, I would find it utterly unbelievable but, as I get older, I have come to appreciate those morning hours more and more.

In a few hours, I will take the second flight of the day as I head down to Kalmar for a couple of days with my parents and a dinner with Johanna before taking the train to Gothenburg on Sunday where I will be reunited with Anna and the kids who are having their winter break. Like last year, we have decided to spend most of their break on the West coast and I look forward to getting some vertical into my running as I prepare for Diablo Trails 50k in California.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home