Saturday, November 27, 2021

Xterra Malta

Under heavy rain clouds but with a light heart, I set off from Għajnsielem together with 140 other ultra runners shortly after 7 am for a 50k circumnavigation of Gozo. Though daunting with many technical sections and plenty of slippery rocks, this race will go down the books as one of my most memorable, up there with South Devon Ultra and Trail Kuršių Nerija. With the rain giving way to sun halfway into the race, the views were absolutely incredible, and I even got to swim in the Med in my trail running shoes. Sadly, I listened a bit too much to a very confident guy who seemed to know the way towards the end, so I missed the markings and ended up doing an extra 4 km detour but, ultimately, all fine and well.

Back on Malta, SAS made a surprise cancellation of our direct flight tomorrow so instead of sleeping in and enjoying the pool one last time, we are now scheduled to fly through Zürich with Swiss already at 9 am. Anyhow, I can wholeheartedly recommend Xterra Malta 50k in case you are looking for a fun, technical race in the sun. Now time for sliders and the local Cisk lager together with the best support crew ever.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home