Sunday, October 03, 2021

Gotland Ultra Marathon

Racing 52 km along the sand dunes, shingle beaches and old-growth pine forests of Gotland, I had an incredible day yesterday. The only incident was somewhere half-way into the race when I ran into a branch with full force, luckily only hitting my sunglasses with no resulting injury, making me realize that those Bliz glasses for 499 SEK might have ended up saving my eyesight.

Though the aid stations were few and far between, my nutrition plan worked well and I was never particularly dehydrated. As for pacing, it was quite difficult in the beginning as we had to queue to get over fences almost every kilometre, but as often with ultras, going slow in the beginning might not be that bad after all.

As expected, the main attraction yesterday was the sea, with the coastline reminding me a bit of Rügen. Once I finished the final climb up from the harbour in Visby, Sofi met up and provided the best post-race support, including one big chocolate medal that made me feel just as proud as Pelle Svanslös.

Today, we are going to church in a couple of hours before catching our flight up to Stockholm. Unlike after Trondheim, I feel quite okay in my body so I guess I will recover quickly.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home