Sunday, August 30, 2020

Giant steps

For long-distance runners, aerobic base building always remains the number one priority so, even if I have really struggled to find the time, I am very happy to leave behind another week with 70+ kilometres of running. Beyond widening the base of my aerobic pyramid, the plan going forward is to make a conscious effort to include more foam rolling, stretching and push-ups in my weekly training routine as part of Strava's "September Strength Training Challenge". And, without promising too much, I am tempted to finally confront my insecurities and throw in some organized yoga in the mix as well.

As for the more immediate race weekend, I will do my best to avoid all giant steps when going uphill and instead try to maintain as light feet with as high cadence as possible, eyes up while repeating “float it, do not fight it” for myself. Still, with 1,500 meters of climb over 43 km, I have no doubt that it will once again be a “historic effort” to speak with Strava. With this in mind, it feels good to spend this Sunday afternoon on the balcony marking student theses and drinking a glass of wine from Yarra Valley where I have not been since I was driving from Melbourne to Sydney back in November 2008.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home