Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Late night at Eden

Returning to my office after some Italian food with a good friend in Malmö. Empty corridors. Very different from my first year in the PhD programme when we still had some colleagues around who knew how to burn the midnight oil.

So silence. Down in Malmö we talked about weblogging, something we both do. The ever recurrent questions: who is the audience? what style should one use? and, how can we understand the relationship to John Locke and the commonplace books of the 15th century?

Today I got back all the exams from my "fire fighters". About 200 pages to mark before I can set off to the US. So silence.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Gabriel said...

Nie ma problemu. The connections (blogs/tagging-commonplaces) are there. I take this as a kick somewhere in the lower regions to get my thoughts in print or on screen...

And the audience... Some kind of audience will choose you, I think. If you are lucky.

10:28 pm  
Blogger Dusina said...

The hard decision of Swedish or English... I think I'll stick to English. Information wants to be free and apparently also international :)

Thanks for commenting in my blogg. Didn't think anyone was really paying attention :) And I feel for you. I never got as far as to a PhD but I am familiar with the fears of publishing something you're not proud of.

How can you love to write but hate the thought of others reading your work? I must have issues...

12:02 am  
Blogger Natasja said...

"who is the audience? what style should one use?"

Well, sometime before the elections I heard that Esbati's blog is very popular. I checked it out. No matter what one might think or not think about him, he sure as XXX has a lot of visitors (16281)and he gets a lot of comments. I saw one post that has 77 comments. He must do SOMETHING right writing his blog...

1:21 am  
Blogger Gabriel said...

To write in Swedish and in English are two distinctively different things to me. To some extent, I think you'll have to "act" when speaking a language foreign to you. And then maybe you'll find you cannot use the style you would want, not only because you don't know the language good enough, but because they are... different.

I use both languages, write about it here.

12:50 pm  
Blogger Gabriel said...

Ha ha... A little bird whispered in my ear: Not well enough... Quod erat demonstrandum.

3:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home