Thursday, June 16, 2022

Lunch run

Feeling almost jetlagged after my super-early morning in Kalmar and the long day of travelling yesterday, I set off south along Ponteland Road towards the city centre. Judging from the surrounding nature, the heat, and my feeling of temporal disorientation, it was as if I was back running in Texas (which, I learnt, can be surprisingly green) fifteen years ago. 

After about ten kilometres I stopped by a convenience store to buy a sports drink but apparently the minimum amount for paying with a card was £4. Just as I was getting ready to leave thirsty, a guy appeared and offered to buy the drink for me. Such unbelievable kindness. Most grateful, I continued down to the historical heart of the city with its big monument erected after the passing of the 1832 Reform Act. Just imagine, there was a time when people were celebrating the extension of the franchise and the expansion of liberal norms. 

After 14 km, nostalgia got me, and I decided to stop at Nando’s for lunch. After all, bottomless drinks have a certain appeal after a long run in the summer heat. Going back to the airport with the train, there was a sudden power failure at Kingston Park station so, to my surprise, I got a 5k bonus run but not before picking up a McFlurry “Tiramisu” (which I can highly recommend by the way). 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home