Sunday, February 13, 2022

Rouge waves

Earl Grey, “piping hot”, to borrow a reference from a future saloon in Los Angeles, as another day comes and goes with no tangible improvement to my bronchitis. Except for a nasty sinus infection in the summer of 2009, I cannot remember if I ever been sick for this long. Still, I really should not complain, I know I am very fortunate in general with regard to health issues. While waiting for my body to recover, I managed to mark all the exams that my police students submitted on Friday so at least “24-timmarsmyndigheten” is alive and well ;-)

Browsing CNN in the sofa with my tea, I came across an article about rouge unpredictable waves, in this case a 17-metre wave suddenly appearing outside Vancouver Island. Though long part of marine folklore, new sensor buoy technology has confirmed the existence of such rouge waves, definied as a wave that is twice the size of surrounding waves and often comes from a different direction. Though I did not experience any rouge waves there, the article reminded me of how treacherous yet irresistible the Atlantic was at Fanore Beach in Ireland when Ally and I went for a swim back in September. Jumping into the waves, strong currents tossed us around and there was not much one could do except embracing the power of the ocean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home