Saturday, July 04, 2020

The Great Gatsby

In one of his books, Haruki Murakami mentions that he has been translating the 1920’s classic “The Great Gatsby” into Japanese. Set on Long Island in Prohibition America, it is a world of speakeasies and petting in automobiles as the official puritanism of society fractures. Recognizing that twelve years have passed since I used to drive around Long Island myself, I thought I would begin the summer vacation by reading some Scott Fitzgerald.

Yesterday, I recorded the last two lectures about the different political ideologies. On UmU Play, I now have 15 hours of lectures lined up for the autumn semester, meaning that I may in fact get some research time once September comes. Otherwise, the autumn feels very uncertain for obvious reasons. I can only hope that Kullamannen will not be cancelled and that I do get to see the trails of Kullaberg before the year is out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home