Sunday, April 19, 2020

Virtual Marathon

While I have taken part in a number of virtual 5k and 10k races in the past, this afternoon I completed my first ever virtual marathon in 3 hours and 51 minutes, my second best marathon time after Stockholm. Organized by the Youtube-runner James Seth DeMoor when his own key race this spring, the Hamburg Marathon, got cancelled due to the epidemic, the “DeMoor Global Running” event is attracting thousands of people across all time zones in what is, essentially, a test of mental strength. Unlike a big city marathon where others can help with the pacing and you get to see a new city, running laps around Nydalasjön is really just about being in your own mental bubble and pain cave.

Running in my racing shorts with a couple of Maurten Caf 100 gels that I had left over from South Devon Ultra in February, I ran the first half in 1 hour and 46 minutes only to realize that a negative split was not within reach. Instead, I focused on keeping my heart rate down and preventing injury. Still, there is something about the marathon distance which always surprises you by its inherent brutality. Directly afterwards, and in keeping with tradition, I promised myself to never run a marathon again but already now, two hours later, I am wondering when my next marathon will be… #goldfish

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home