Friday, May 03, 2019

Eating animals

In theory, it is quite simple, do not eat other animals. No matter how hard I try, I cannot find any abstract ethical justification for eating meat. If humanity were to continue along an Enlightenment trajectory, I am confident that we will look back on meat eating as something cruel and savage, a bit like we today think about parents who beat their children. With ever more advanced meat substitutes and a richer global variety of vegetarian foods, the transition away from meat eating might happen even before the advent of molecular assemblers and other similarly StarTrek-y innovations.

The other day I bought some organic “animal-welfare-friendly” chicken. It is worth noting that it cost about 25 EUR per kg which probably says a lot about the welfare of non-welfare chickens. Still, making my Thai chicken with cashew, I realize the futility of all my practical arguments (such as that the kids like it).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home