Thursday, November 16, 2023

Unceremoniously

Last year, I reached my annual goal of swimming 36,000 meters but forgot to mention it here on the blog. This year, I have fallen hopelessly behind after injuring my shoulder back in April, so I decided to cut my goal to 24,000 meters which I happened to reach today at Halmstad Arena.

On the train back home, I then discovered that I had requalify for the top tier with SJ Prio, something that I was allowed to celebrate (against all rules) by microwaving their new apple gingerbread cake. Yes, there is certainly a kind of tragedy to all this counting and measuring (just read this piece in Svenska Dagbladet about how bike delivery couriers become addicted to their metrics), something that my mother was also quick to point out last weekend when she witnessed my Strava addiction. Still, the cake was lovely, and I think I need a certain measure of gamification to stay on track with my training. As such, I will try again next year to swim 36,000 meters. For now, I will just enjoy any “extra” meters in the pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home