Sunday, October 27, 2019

Turkish delight

Sleeping my way across the Indian subcontinent, I woke up somewhere over Turkmenistan. Like in the other direction, I was able to get an exit row seat which is heaven for my long legs. Then, before I knew it, breakfast was served and I was back at Istanbul’s grand new airport for a shower, some coffee and the last pages of “Call me by your name”.

From the movie, I very much remembered the conversation that Elio is having with his dad after Oliver has left Italy. “Withdrawal can be a terrible thing when it keeps us awake at night, and watching others forget us sooner than we’d want to be forgotten is no better. We rip out so much of ourselves to be cured of things faster than we should that we go bankrupt by the age of thirty and have less and less to offer each time we start with someone new”.

With a bit of luck, I will be back in Istanbul with Ally in ten days from now on our way to Beirut. Looking up at the departures board, the world really comes together here, from Accra to Washington D.C. with Samarkand and so many other places that remain unexplored thrown in between.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home