Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Lambrusco

My first really memorable encounter with Lambrusco was aboard Trenitalia from Milano to Rome some sixteen years ago. At the time, “Eurostar Italia” still existed and one could get a full course dinner with Italy swishing by outside the train window. Today at Systembolaget, I stumbled upon a “småparti” bottle from Emilia-Romagna and decided that it was time to close the circle.

Obviously, all adventures have to come to an end. For many months, I had been looking forward to going to Israel with equal measures of excitement and trepidation. Beyond an extended “interview” with the Israeli immigration authorities due to a couple of UAE stamps in my passport, I did not personally experience anything out of the ordinary. At the same time, and especially with regard to the situation in Gaza, the apartheid nature of Israel is never far away.

To give me something new to think about, I received the latest issue of Vagabond today featuring the “unknown islands of Southern Europe”. While Pantelleria may not be completely “unknown” for someone as fascinated by Mediterranean geography as I am, it still left me with a good feeling that the future will not be entirely without adventures.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home