Tuesday, May 20, 2008

20 hours

Breaking with my somewhat melancholic weekend, I have spent this Monday reading anew Nordhaus and Schellenberger’s highly inspiring book from last year. Despite its catchy American title, “Break through – From the Death of Environmentalism to the Politics of Possibility”, the book offers a number of profound insights as to why the pollution paradigm does not work for climate change and why progressives should reject the reductive negativism of traditional green thinking and instead embrace more proactive transformative visions of the future.

Defeating the combined forces of Malthusian environmentalism and Hobbesian conservatism will take a lot of idealism and good will. But even as I often hear myself thinking that “the best lack all convictions”, I leave America hopeful that by the time I return a new president will have been installed, one who talks more about the audacity of hope than about the clashes of civilizations.

“It's quiet now
And what it brings
Is everything”

My bags are packed, I have checked-in online for SK910 and all I can say is that it has been a spectacular time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home