Run to Båstad
Heading out
into the midday heat, I began my birthday adventure by exploring the
non-fording option of Halland Ultra-Beach (HUB) across Fylleån in southern
Halmstad, a body of water that I have crossed many times further upstream in
the woodlands of Halland but now got to share with all the cyclists following Kattegattleden.
Keeping a
steady pace around 5:45 min/km, I then crossed the birdwatchers' paradise of
Tönninge Meadows and the golden fields beyond. After cutting the HUB ultra race
short twice, I was eager to finally see the coast between Halmstad and Båstad
in earnest. Not racing, I allowed myself plenty of stops, including at the most
lovely garden cafè in Påarp, overlooking the glittering sea and wind-sculpted
pines. After a smørrebrød, I felt energized to continue into Gullbranna Nature Reserve
on highly runnable trails.
Nineteen kilometres into my run, the trail headed out onto sand dunes that quickly proved difficult to navigate and slowed me down considerably. The preceding two nights with only a few hours of sleep made the whole thing feel like some kind of SEAL training exercise as my mind drifted to Coronado, sand filled my trail shoes, and the sun kept blazing. At Hökafältet, I finally plunged into the cool water before continuing on towards Mellbystrand.
Talking to
Eddie on the phone, he said he wanted to come down to Halmstad tonight, so
instead of running along the beach, I followed the bike path all the way to the
railway station in Båstad. Finishing the full 38 kilometres in just under four
hours of moving time, I was reasonably happy with my performance and already
planning another run on the Bjäre Peninsula.
Labels: running








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home