Bjäre
A short hop
through the air later, I am back at Pontus, this time with a wooden medal after
yesterday's fantastic race on the Bjäre Peninsula. While Kullaberg has always
held a special place in my heart, Bjäre has remained practically unknown to me
beyond a few visits to Båstad.
Running 35
kilometres on technical trails with plenty of elevation, I got to experience
breathtaking views across Halland and the sea, Khazad-dûm-like bridges, and
steep birch forests. Completing the first loop in just over two hours, I
struggled more on the second after being stung by a wasp and accidentally
grabbing an electric fence. Truth be told, the drama of the past few days had
also taken its mental toll, with my heart rate being much higher than the
terrain warranted. In any case, I crossed the finish line in just under five
hours which, after having to throw in the towel in Essex earlier this month,
felt like a small measure of vindication. With this race behind me, I am not
planning anything competitive until Malmö Marathon on the third of October.
Tomorrow,
Eddie turns fourteen, something he wanted to celebrate by returning to Norrland
and Umeå. After all, he spent the years between the ages of two and eleven
there, so it is hardly surprising that it still feels like a kind of home, even
though the house has long since been sold. Having gone from outright abysmal to
merely a bit rainy, the weather forecast still suggests that we will probably
stay in Umeå rather than drive out to Bettnesand or anywhere similar.
Labels: aviation, high north, running




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home