Monday, July 16, 2018

Empty sky

Just as I finished reading Malin Lindroth’s remarkable book, I heard the whining noise of a jet engine spinning up. For a split second I was everywhere from Tokyo to the Mendocino Coast.

As the plane departed for Stockholm, it left behind an empty sky. In its place, I flipped up my phone and read the news about the surreal Trump-Putin summit in Helsinki.

In a convoluted way, I am thinking that what happened in Helsinki may actually be good. In the end, I am confident that the time for feminism, emancipation and global solidarity will come as the arc of the moral universe keeps bending towards justice. But right now, reducing the risk of nuclear war may be the single most important thing that we can do if we are to take the interests of future generations seriously, and this summit seems to have done exactly that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home